About Me

I'm tall and sometimes blonde and outrageous. My steps are deliberate and everything I do is working towards an end goal. Living without a dream is pointless to me: and my dreams are endless. I've got a thousand back up plans and have no qualms about pursuing any of them.

Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Orientation and Apartment Hunting

Last Thursday, Mom and I got on a train and travelled to Toronto. We arrived in the evening, and headed to my Aunt's, where we were going to stay for a few days. We ate dinner, and then went to bed. It wasn't too exciting. The next morning, I went to the grade school where my Aunt runs the lunch program and helped out for a bit, before heading back to get ready to go apartment hunting with Mom.
We figured our way through the transportation systems, and ended up at York University, where we walked over to "The Village" to look at some places. The first place on my list, I couldn't understand the landlord. We checked out two of the houses he rents out, and they were both awful awful places. I could never live in housing like this - people live behind closed/locked bedroom doors, they don't speak to their roommates, it's really weird and anti-social and I didn't like it. Plus, the bathroom we looked at was FILTHY.
Basically, we bailed on the rest of those apartments and went to some little old lady's house to look at her basement. I LOVED it on first sight. Had its own separate entrance, own bathroom, there's a pool in the backyard i can use. It's right on the line of the TTC and YRT systems, which is super convenient, and its only a 40 minute bus ride to work. I told her I wanted it and she said she had to call some guy who had said HE wanted it but then she had never heard from him. I heard from her the next morning while waiting for orientation to start and she said it was mine if I wanted it!
So after the stressful night at my aunt's, waiting to hear about the apartment, I got up and on a Subway at 6:15am, to travel the two hour ride to Wonderland. I got there about 7:30, so hung out in the Tim Horton's across the street before heading into Wonderland for work!
Having been through theme park orientation before, I expected something a BIT more than what I got. I went in, waited some more, got my ID badge, name tag and uniform, and then sat in a locker room as they packed twenty people in, waiting for orientation to start. We walked from Human Resources to a medical centre in the park, and sat at one of three tables. We were showed clips on Workplace Safety (lots of people with no arms in that one), and on the park's "cornerstones" or values. It was pretty standard, and I was a little put off by how unsocial the rest of the "team" was. I'd ask if people were from Toronto and they'd say "yes" and then that was the end of the conversation.
Basically, the whole theme of being a Wonderland employee is to be "engaging" because we're helpful, polite, something else, and because it's "our pleasure" to assist you as a guest. It's an interesting way to motivate employees, but it seems to work - Wonderland is the busiest seasonal amusement park in North America, (yes, higher than Cedar Point).
Mom met me at the little old lady's place, and we explored the area a bit, and then gave her my first month's rent. We travelled back to my aunt's, and shortly after that I got on a train to come home, where I slept most of the way. The Boyfriend picked me up at the train station to drive me home, where I promptly passed out from sheer exhaustion.

No comments:

Post a Comment